read my profile
sign my guestbook
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Interests: knitting, cooking, history (not wars), how things work, backs of cereal boxes, reading, marine migratory patterns, surviving 4 more years of the bush regime
Expertise: red beans & rice, not doing laundry for two months w/o being a stinky ho, not going postal when a coworker can't turn OFF her computer
Occupation: Customer Service Representativ
Industry: Automobile Leasing
Message: message meEmail: email me
Website: visit my website
|I bought a waffle iron at a garage sale this weekend. The first time I tried to use it was a little crazy because I was unaware of how much potential waffles have for sticking to the grill.* I worked through a couple of batches, and by the end of it had some damn good waffles. Today I decided to get a little creative. I made five different batches of waffles with extra ingredients I had hanging out in my freezer and pantry. I made walnut waffles, cranberry walnut waffles, coffee waffles**, blueberry waffles, and blueberry cinnamon walnut waffles. I also used sunflower oil this time around which I think made a big difference. So, now I have a bunch of yummy waffles to grab on the way to work if Jacob doesn't eat them all. Yay!|
* Despite my mother's amazing cooking abilities, I have absolutely no intuitive kitchen skills. I guess I missed out on that gene, and it sometimes makes me feel like less of a woman.
** Coffee waffles = Bad Idea. Don't try it.
|- In an article about Tidal Acceleration : "About 2.1 billion years from now, the continual increase of the Sun's radiation will cause the Earth's oceans to boil away, removing the bulk of the tidal friction and acceleration. Even without this, the slowdown to a month-long day would still not have been completed by 4.5 billion years from now when the Sun will evolve into a red giant and likely destroy both the Earth and Moon."|
- Puerto Ricans have been included in the compulsory draft, when it has been in effect, yet Puerto Ricans residing in Puerto Rico cannot vote in the U.S Presidential election, nor are they represented by a voting U.S. Representative or Senator.
- During the American Civil War, when the state of Louisiana seceded, Winn Parish in northwest central Louisiana refused to secede, thus, in effect, seceding from the secessionist state to remain a Union enclave during the war.
- Some species of anglerfish display extreme sexual dimorphism. Females are typical anglerfish, while males are tiny rudimentary creatures with no digestive systems. The males must find a female and fuse with her – he then lives parasitically, becoming little more than a sperm-producing body. A similar situation is found in the Zeus water bug Phoreticovelia disparata where the female has a cavity on her back where males live permanently attached.
- Perfumes are classified by the concentration of perfume oil as follows:
Perfume extract (Extrait): 20%-40% (IFRA: typical 25%) aromatic compounds
Eau de Parfum (EdP): 10-30% (typical ~15%) aromatic compounds
Eau de Toilette (EdT): 5-20% (typical ~10%) aromatic compounds
Eau de Cologne (EdC): 2-5% aromatic compounds
- The now extinct passenger pigeons had one of the largest groups or flocks of any animal, second only to the desert locust. They lived in enormous flocks, and during migration, it was possible to see flocks of them a mile (1.6 km) wide and 300 miles (500 km) long, taking several days to pass and containing up to a billion birds.
|1. Put your iTunes, on shuffle|
2. For each question, press the next button to get your answer.
3. YOU MUST WRITE THAT SONG NAME DOWN NO MATTER HOW SILLY IT SOUNDS.
1.) Are you a male or female?
Hanging on a Star - NIck Drake
2.) Describe yourself?
The Sweets - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
3.) How do you feel about yourself?
Aerials - System of a Down
4.) Describe your ex boyfriend/girlfriend:
Whenever I Breath Out You Breathe In (Positive Negative) - Modest Mouse
5.) How do you feel about your crush?
Hand In My Pocket - Alanis Morissette
6.) Describe your current location:
Exit Does Not Exist - Modest Mouse
7.) Describe what you want to be:
Team Zissou - Seu Jorge
8) Describe your best friend:
The One I Love - R.E.M.
9.) Your favorite color is:
3rd Planet (LIVE) - Modest Mouse
***Ok, I have A LOT of Modest Mouse....like a little over 5% of my library****
10.) You know that:
To Know Him is to Love Him - Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton
11.) What is the weather like?
Body Movin' - Beast Boys
12.) If your life was a television show, what would it be called?
Country Road - James Taylor
13) What is life to you?
Cicatriz E.S.P. - The Mars Volta
14.) What is the best advice you have to give?
humpin pumpkin - Modest Mouse
15.) Describe your love life:
Double Bass - Gorillaz
16.) How are you going to die?
Voi-la Intruder - Gogol Bordello
17.) If you could change your name, what would you change it to?
Sugar Water - Cibo Matto
18) What do your friends think of you?
King of the Rodeo - Kings of Leon
19) What is your funeral song going to be?
Don't Fade Away - Willie Nelson
20) What are you going to repost this as?
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi - Radiohead
| Desiderata |
Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant;
They too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
It is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
Many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the council of the years,
Gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a healthy discipline,
Be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here,
and whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore, be at peace with God,
Whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Author Unknown although some maintain that this piece was written by Max Erhmann
I was having lunch at my favorite Thai restaurant today and thinking about how much I love the pickled cucumbers. I tried to make them at home and it was a complete failure. Whatever I made from a recipe online was completely inedible. I decided to ask the waitress if she knew what they used to pickle their cucumber and see if she could give me some hints. I was totally shocked when she not only wrote down the ingredients for me, but gave me a bag with a bit of the "secret" ingredient, their homemade chili paste. The service at this restaurant is always great, but today she got close to a 50% tip.